TSC Interviews: MMA fighter Carina Damm
Don't let her looks deceive you. Carina Damm (15-5) is one of the top female mixed martial artists in the world.
Currently ranked #6 in the 125lb women's weight class by many publications, Damm looks to skyrocket her status with a victory over her Shark Fights 14 opponent Tara LaRosa.
LaRosa is another beautiful woman that packs a deadly serious punch, considered by many the best female fighter in the world (or the best female fighting not named Cris Cyborg).
Shark Fights Promotions makes its HDNet debut live this Friday night. Before the big event, Damm spoke to The Sports Courier via email regarding her huge bout with LaRosa.
- 15-5 Professional MMA record
- 11 of 15 wins by finish
- Competed for Strikeforce and BodogFight
How did your fight with Tara LaRosa come about?
My trainer and manager Jesse Finney told me about the fight. I think she was already fighting someone and needed someone to fill in. I am always training and in a good place now, so I can fight anyone.
2. After two straight losses, do you feel like you have something to prove to critics and yourself coming into this fight?
I don't make excuses but the last two fights, but I wasn't in the right place. I move and now have the support of my husband (Luis Sapo) and training at Finney's MMA in St. Louis where I have the support to become champion. I train with Jesse Finney (MMA), Lucas lopes (BJJ), and all the fighters at Finney's MMA.
3. Eleven of your 15 wins have been finishes. Do you feel like your opponents underestimate you at times due to your looks?
No, I come out to win the fights. I want to finish all of them. The fans want to see finishes, not decisions.
4. How important of a base is BJJ when going into MMA?
It is important because most fights go to the ground. I feel comfortable on the ground because of BJJ.
5. You are currently ranked #6 female fighter in the world by many publications, while your opponent is #2. If you defeat her decisively, do you feel like you should be ranked higher?
Yes I think once I beat Tara I will be back in the top where I have been before. I want to become champion and to do that I have to fight the best.
6. Any prediction on how the fight will go?
I'll give as much of me the same way as before and would try to make a great fight for the public.