UFC 116: Lesnar vs Carwin Rapid Recap
Las Vegas, Nevada
July 3, 2010
1. Ricardo Romero def. Seth Petruzelli via submission at 3:05 in Round 2.
2. Brendan Schaub def. Chris Tuchscherer via TKO at 1:07 in Round 1.
3. Gerald Harris def. Dave Branch via TKO at 2:35 of Round 3.
4. George Sotiropolous def. Kurt Pellegrino by Unanimous Decision, much to the chagrin (and disagreement) by this recapper. Jersey represent! I'm just sayin'....
5. Stephan Bonnar def. Krzysztof Soszynski via TKO at 3:08 in Round 3.
6. Chris Lytle def. Matt Brown by submission via armbar at 2:02 of Round 2.
7. Chris Leben def. Yoshihiro Akiyama by submission via triangle choke at 4:40 of Round 3. Excellent fight. Fight of The Year contender indeed. Great effort and class by both athletes.
8. Brock Lesnar def. Shane Carwin by submission via arm triangle at 2:19 of Round 2 to become the Undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion. Amazing bout that had Lesnar reeling after a flurry of shits by Carwin in the first round. Lesnar weathered the storm and tired of Carwin in the process, leaving the challenger ripe for the picking in Round 2. A much more humble Lesnar thanked God, his family, and his staff and said the fight was not about him but about them. Both fighters showcased mutual respect and tremendous humility.
Now THAT'S what MMA is all about!
And yes, that lived up to the hype.