UFC cuts Anthony Johnson
Zuffa says goodbye to "Rumble."
Photo credit: UFC.com/Zuffa, LLC
Johnson weighed in at 197lbs--11lbs over the allowable middleweight limit--for his UFC 142 bout against Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) on January 14 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Belfort defeated him via rear-naked choke submission in the first round.
Johnson previously missed weight twice at welterweight in his UFC career, leading him to going up a weight class--only for him to come in heavy again.
"That was one of the most unprofessional things I've ever seen," UFC president Dana White said. "The guy was at 170 pounds. He moved up to 185 pounds so this wouldn't happen anymore, and this is the worst weight cutting disaster he's ever had. He almost ruined the co-main event here in Brazil. I don't know what else to say about that one. I'm not happy about it."
"I knew what the decision was when I talked to you on Friday," White told MMAjunkie.com. "This is his third time. Listen, the guy was having problems making 170 pounds. He wanted to stay at 170 or whatever his deal was. You go to 185, and you blow it as bad as he blew it? That's bad, man."
Johnson could be back within a year, but he has to get some wins and his weight under control before he permanently damages his health.
"I don't dislike the guy," White. "I like him very much actually. When you talk to Anthony Johnson, he's a good guy. I don't know who you blame in this one. Do you blame him? Do you blame his team? Do you blame his camp? I mean who takes the blame in this one? Ultimately, you're a grown man. You're responsible for your own actions."